Dog Registration & Fees
Dog registration in Katherine is compulsory for all dogs over three (3) months of age.
The registration period is 1 July - 30 June.
When registering your dog for the first time, proof of desexing needs to be viewed by Council staff, (e.g. a certificate or letter from the vet).
Please refer to Katherine Town Councils Fees and Charges for costings
By-Law 47 - Licensing Premises - For More Than 2 Dogs
- NT Planning Scheme Zones Rural, Agricultural and Water Management no licence required. No limit on number of dogs.
- NT Planning Scheme Zone Rural Living licence required for more than 2 dogs. The applicant must demonstrate an ability to adequately manage, house and contain the dogs.
- All other NT Planning Scheme Zones including the township of Katherine and RAAF Base Tindal only two dogs are allowed.
By-Law 52 - Registration of Dogs
- Registration of dogs over 3 months of age in NT Planning Scheme Zones Rural, Agricultural and Water Management is optional.
- Registration of dogs over 3 months of age is required in all other NT Planning Scheme Zones including the township of Katherine and RAAF Base Tindal.
By-Law 51 - Dog Restricted Areas - Dogs Not Permitted
- Katherine Hot Springs.
- Katherine Sportsgrounds - dogs not permitted on Ovals 1,2 3, & 4, Aquatic Centre and the Children's Adventure Playground. Elsewhere in the Sportsgrounds dogs must be on a leash at all times.
- Low Level Reserve - Bottom car park and river bank area.
By-Law 51 - Dog Exercise Areas - Off The Leash Areas
- Katherine Showgrounds - the open grassed area in the vicinity of the Rodeo Ground (with restricted access when events such as the Katherine Show and Rodeo’s etc are taking place).
- Lockheed Road Reserve - excluding the playground area.
- Casuarina Park Open Area.
In all other public areas of the Municipality dogs must be under effective control and on a lead at all times. For further inquiries please contact Katherine Town Council’s Rangers on (08) 8972 5500.
Keeping More Than Two Dogs
Policy for Registration of more than two (2) dogs
- Katherine Town Council has recently reviewed the Animal By-Laws. These By-Laws passed NT Legislation on the 8th June and effective of this date no further registrations for residential properties will occur for more than two (2) dogs. Licences will only be issued to those properties zoned Rural Living. All current licences will remain in place unless allowed to expire. Further information can be provided by calling the Rangers on (08) 8972 5500.
- An application, pursuant to the current By-Law 47, is to be lodged.
- A licence fee per annum is to be paid on receipt of application.
- The written consent of the registered proprietor of the property is to be lodged with the application.
- A maximum of four dogs per residential unit can be licenced.
- The residential property is to be inspected by Ranger staff to ensure adequate facilities are provided prior to an application being approved.
- Adjoining residential properties are to be advised of the application by the applicant and proof provided to Council with the application.
- The licence is to be endorsed with the condition that the residential unit may, after written notice, be inspected to confirm the conditions of the licence are being complied with.
- All licences expire on the 30th June of each year and are issued pro-rata to the next complete month.
- The Council reserves the right to cancel a licence at any time and refund, on a pro-rata basis, any outstanding fees.
- The applicant is to be notified in writing, pursuant to By-Law 15, and the fee refunded in full within 28 days when an application for a licence is refused.