Katherine Town Council

Freedom of Information / Privacy

Freedom of Information / Privacy

What is the Information Act (NT) 2002?

The Information Act - http://www.privacy.gov.au/law/states/nt - gives people the right to access information from Northern Territory Government agencies, including councils, subject to a number of exemptions to protect public and private interests.

This does not include information that is already available under an existing "access arrangement”, such as council minutes, which are available without applying under Information Act (NT) 2002.

How can the Freedom of Information / Policy Act help?

The FOI Act has three main aims, which fall into the following categories:

Council is required to make available to you documents about its functions and operations. This includes information about its structure, decision-making processes, public participation through boards, councils or committees, and policy documents. You can download some of these documents, from this website. You can also ask to see such documents or purchase copies at the Civic Centre.

The Information Act also gives you the right to apply for documents, including those about you, held by Council. You can examine and have copies of these documents. You also have rights of appeal if Council does not give you access to documents you want to see.

You can apply for information about your personal affairs to be changed if you believe it is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date or misleading.

Can I see all documents?

Some documents are exempt under the Act to protect essential public interests or the personal or business affairs of others. Sometimes part of a document may not be available if it contains information which is exempt (eg name and address of complainant/s).

If you are refused access to a document or given partial access only, Council must give you written reasons for the decision. Council must also tell you of your rights of appeal.

Documents already publicly available (such as birth certificates, and including those available for a fee), under other legislation, or administrative processes, are not available through the Act.

How much will it cost?

There is no application fee to look at documents about your personal affairs. You can also ask for copies of these documents for 20c per A4 page.

However, there is an application fee of $30.00 for requests for access to non-personal affairs documents (ie complaints made by another person) and other charges for processing and making photocopies.

See http://www.oaic.gov.au/ for the fee structure under the Act.

How do I make an FOI request?

The FOI Act requires that your application be made in writing, please make use of the forms below.

You must address your letter to:

Community Services Executive Manager
Katherine Town Council
PO Box 1071